[Bristol-Birds] Ring-necked Pheasant (Washington Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

October 23, 2012

On my way to Johnson City this morning, I observed a male Ring-necked Pheasant
walking on the shoulder of Highway 107 in South Central community in Washington
County. The precise location was 0.1 mile west of Desiree Broyles Road.

I know that an attempt was made several decades ago to introduce the species
into our region, and that the attempt failed. However, I'm curious about the
possible origin of this particular bird. Does anyone know of any individual in
western Washington County or nearby Greene County who might keep exotic fowl or
might be breeding them?

By the way, this is my second encounter with Ring-necked Pheasants in the last
twenty years. In the early '90's, I observed two in the front yard of a
farmhouse in the Warrensburg area of Greene County.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN