[Bristol-Birds] Request to Birders of Western VA

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:07:17 -0500

Western VA Birders,
My wife, Lynda and I, are regional editors for the VSO Quarterly Journal. We
report on birding in the 14 westernmost counties of the state: Bland, Wythe,
Floyd, Carroll, Grayson, Smyth, Tazewell, Buchanan, Russell, Washington,
Dickenson, Wise, Scott and Lee.
We are receiving little or no information from some of these counties. Here is
a list of the type of information we need:

1.Unusual weather conditions that may affect birds
2. First arrivals during migration
3. Last departure dates or late departure dates
4. Notable numbers-unusually high or unusually low
5. Notable fall-outs (if they occur)
6. Birds in the area out of season
7. Unusual breeding records-birds that normally do not breed in the area, or
ones that are breeding at unusual elevations, etc.
8. Census records for certain locations-CBC's, waterbird counts, etc.
9. Rare birds within the area

Much of the information we are reporting is coming from the emails posted to
Bird-Lists on the internet. If you do not want to post to one of these, then
please email the information directly to us. We want all of Western VA to be
represented in the journal.

Thanks and Good Birding,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA