[Bristol-Birds] Report on Herndon Bird Club Nightjar Survey: 7 Whip-poor-wills

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:52:33 -0400

The Herndon Bird Club conducted a nightjar survey last night (Tuesday, June 20)
led by Joe McGuiness and Kim Stroud.  Eleven came together at Primo's in
Elizabethton for dinner and socializing before the survey.  Eight birders:  Joe
Mcguiness, Kim Stroud, Tom and Laverne Hunter, John Hay, Lisa Botts, David
Kirschke, and Roy Knispel, participated in the survey.  We started at Fish
Springs and proceeded south along Forest Service Rd. 39 over Walnut Mountain,
stopping about every mile to count nightjar calls for six minutes at each of
the 10 stops.  In all, we heard seven Whip-poor-wills.  In addition, we heard
Gray Fox and enjoyed a continuous Firefly show, including synchronized firefly
displays and Blue Ghost fireflies at some stops.

Roy Knispel
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:  423-202-7802
Cell:     920-203-0332