[Bristol-Birds] Red-tailed Hawk Nest

  • From: Michelle <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:17:13 -0400

We observed a pair of red-tailed hawks flying low over the yard this morning.
Red-tails have used the wood lot on the back of the farm on and off for several
years so we decided to set out on a search before the nest became less visible
among the progressing foliage. We found what we believe to be the nest based on
its large size. No birds were observed on the nest and if chicks are present
they were not up moving about. We shall be watching closely over the next few
weeks to see how successful mom and dad will be. The last known nest in the
wood lot was the year our area was plagued with severe weather that destroyed
the nest. Happy to have them back. Also hearing Great Horned Owls nightly on
the knobs which is the opposite end of the farm from the hawk nest.

Michelle King
Blountville, TN
Sullivan County

       BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org