[Bristol-Birds] Red-tail housekeeping on Pickens Bridge Rd.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:45:03 -0500

It seems that Larry McDaniel's observation of a Red-tailed Hawk at a
suitable nest on Saturday is right on the money in regards to an adult
"inspecting or working on the nest."

Just before Christmas, we past the Winter Solstice and the length of
daylight is
steadily growing longer.  That, coupled with the unseasonably good run of
warm days and nights may have been enough to inspire a Red-tail to return to
its previous nest site and do a little adjusting of nest materials and/or
add a few fresh evergreen twigs.

Both longer days and higher temperatures are known to trigger breeding
hormones in birds.

Many older southern Red-tails stay on their breeding territories year around
and such territories usually include the previous year's nest.  They often
use the same nest for two or more nesting seasons.

In my opinon, that was a neat observation and a good sense of
interpretation.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol