[Bristol-Birds] Red-shouldered Hawk in Shady Valley, TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 02:00:51 -0400

Merrill Lynch, wrote to inform me that he recently saw an
adult Red-shouldered Hawk near Crandull, Shady Valley, TN, on
Saturday, July 4, 2009.  The exact location was on Lady Lane off
Cretsinger Road east of Crandull.  Habitat:  forested wetland along a
small stream at 2,660 feet elevation.  This is in Johnson Co.

Merrill is with The Nature Conservancy office in Boone, NC

He noted that there are no summer records for this species in our
book, Bird Study in Shady Valley, Tennessee (1999).  This species
is also very rare during the breeding season in the northern mountains
of NC. He asked if I was aware of any summer records subsequent
to the publication?

The only additional summer season record from Shady Valley
is a bird seen soaring slightly above the tree crowns in the Beaverdam
Creek gorge just north of Crandull: (1) 9 June 2003 along TN Rt. 133
(Wallace Coffey, Chris O'Bryan, Ron Herrington).

Let's go birding . . . .