[Bristol-Birds] Red-necked Grebes at South Holston Lake (Sullivan County)

  • From: Robert Biller <earedgrebe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:40:04 -0500

Today while particpating on the Bristol Christmas Bird Count, Ron Carrico
and I had a total of 8 Red-necked Grebes at South Holston Lake in Sullivan
County, TN. The birds were first observed (around the noon time) at
Friendship Boat Dock and Marina. From the marina, the birds were just past
the parked boats under the shelter toward the exit of the cove looking
toward the main lake. At the end of the day, we refound the birds looking
southeast from the "point" which is the public boat ramp next to the Hwy 421
bridge. From the back of the parking lot the birds were southeasterly
direction (towards Friendship Boat Dock which you can see from this point).
I have posted a picture I made with my cell phone through Ron's scope at
Friendship on my flickr site ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/xyon42/ ). It's
not a very good picture as the birds were still a bit away. We had a pretty
decent day for our 18th year on the BBC CBC.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN