[Bristol-Birds] Red Phalarope, Dunlin - Douglas Lake

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:48:19 -0400

Ten Islands, Cocke County, 10/02/10, 4:30 - 7:30 PM, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 975.2

Another beautiful evening on the lake, with even more tree swallows; many
landing on the mudbars, then rising to swirl all around us.  We thought we'd
spotted the red-necked phalarope we'd seen on Tuesday, but on closer
inspection, it turned out to be a RED PHALAROPE, foraging along the muddy
shoreline.

Partial list:
Double-crested cormorant (260)
Great egret (130)
White ibis (i imm.)
Black-crowned night-heron (7)
Osprey
Semipalmated plover
Killdeer (18)
Greater yellowlegs (4)
Lesser yellowlegs (15)
Semipalmated sandpiper (5)
Least sandpiper (26)
Baird's sandpiper (2)
Pectoral sandpiper (16)
DUNLIN - first-of-season
  photo:  http://www.pbase.com/image/129072120/original
Stilt sandpiper
Long-billed dowitcher
RED PHALAROPE
  http://www.pbase.com/image/129071919/origina
Tree swallow (2000+)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
       BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ

and Northeast Tennessee.