[Bristol-Birds] Recent Birds

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:35:49 -0400

At Rasar Farm near Elizabethton in Carter County, TN, I saw a Great Blue Heron, several Wood Ducks and a pair of Pied-billed Grebes on Sept. 6 during my lunch break. Water levels on the Watauga River and the pond at Carter County Rescue Squad pond were too high to produce decent mud habitat for shorebirds.

The grebes were almost frolicking. Several times they paddled along the water, almost taking flight, only to dive beneath the surface. They seemed to be having a great time.

I also noticed that the habitat at the National Guard Armory on Stoney Creek has been altered. This remnant habitat, once known for nesting Willow Flycatchers, was also a good place to get Yellow-breasted Chats, Common Yellowthroats, etc. It's been almost completely cleared out for an expansion at the Armory. There is certainly not enough vegetation remaining to attract chats.

At home in Hampton on Sept. 6, not too much evidence of migration. I did see a nice male Northern Parula, several Gray Catbirds and a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia