[Bristol-Birds] Really nice fieldtrip to Laurel Bed Lake

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:54:27 -0300

Area Birders:

The Bristol Bird Club's fieldtrip Saturday morning to Laurel Bed Lake on the
Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management Area near Saltville, Va. was a really
nice outing for our club members.

Dave Worley was our able leader in a day of strong basic birding -- better
than I've enjoyed in a long while.

Sixteen birders turned out on a cold morning before daylight and no one was
disappointed.  We enjoyed a lot of good down-to-earth birding and two, nice,
short birdwalks along a mountain road and upwards thru a brushy area towards
a ridge top.  Everyone especially enjoyed four (4) Ruffed Grouse found over
a 100-yard stretch of road near the lake.  The woods were full of juncos,
kinglets, vireos and American Robins.  Throughout the last hour or two we
almost constantly had migrant Red-tailed Hawks in the air and a
Sharp-shinned Hawk soaring at close range.  Mary Jane Erwin's served hot
tea. Apples picked and eaten from a roadside added some nice additions as
did 11-year-old Alesis Moore who was birding up front.

Birders included:

Dave Worley, Rosedale, VA. (President)
Diana Worley, Rosedale, VA.
Judy Roach, Kingsport, TN
Mitch Moore, Blountville, TN
Alesis Moore, Blountville, TN
Nancy Necessary, Bristol, VA
Mary Jane Erwin, Kingsport, TN
Janice Martin, Bristol, VA
Greg Evans, Kingsport, TN
Carolyn Evans, Kingsport, TN
Bob Quillen, Bristol, VA
Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
Mike Poe, Kingsport, TN
Dexter Newman, Johnson City, TN
Lynda Newman, Johnson City, TN
Don Holt, Johnson City, TN

Plan to be with us on our next field trips.  You are missing  good fun and
good birding and good fellowship.

Let's go birding...