[Bristol-Birds] Raven nest in Grundy ?

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 04:43:17 -0400

Roger Mayhorn and Buchanan Co. Birders:

The raven you saw in Buchanan County could very well be a bird near a nest
along the rock shelves you mentioned.

The nests are active now.  The birds are breeding and laying eggs and you
can pretty well count on a full clutch of eggs in the nest on St. Patrick's
Day (March 17).  We are right at egg laying.

The ravens nests at very low elevations in nearby states.  Larry McDaniel,
Rick Knight and myself saw a nest 3 and 9 Apr 1994  with 3+ young) at a
quarry near Johnson City at 1,500 ft.
elevation.  A few years ago Bruce Grimes showed me a nest on a bluff above
the New River in Pulaski County, Va at an elevation of about 1760 feet.  I
think there are nesting records down to a 1000 feet or less in the Piedmont
area of North Carolina.

Dick Peake reports they nested in "trees" in the Jefferson National Forest
near the Town of Coeburn in Wise Co. in 1985-1986.

I would think it might be good to scan the cliffs and other such locations
in Buchanan County for the next month and you might find a raven's nest.
They generally require a good ledge with a distinct overhang that extends
protection to the nest from the elements.

Good luck....

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958