[Bristol-Birds] Rankin/Nolichucky, 8/1/15

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 10:14:20 -0400

Douglas Reservoir, 8/1/15. 5-8pm, by canoe
Lake elevation: 990.7 ft.

Mudflat edges are starting to show in remote corners of the area. We found 6
early shorebird species beyond the boundaries of the Rankin WMA: at Gregg's
Bottoms, viewable by scope from Leepers Ferry Rd, and Riverwood Pond, along
Bybee Rd. on the east side of the French Broad. Typical numbers for all
species except Double-crested Cormorant; they've expanded into the heronry at
the south end of the Rankin embayment. That's where we saw a Snowy Egret,
least-common bird for the day.

Partial lists:
Mouth of the Nolichucky, Hamblen county
Wood Duck (5)
Double-crested Cormorant (90)
Great Egret (42)
Green Heron (5)
Black-crowned Night-heron (3)
Bald Eagle (1 imm.)
Osprey (2)
Spotted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper (2)

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county
Wood Duck (18 adult, 30 ducklings)
Double-crested Cormorant (400)
Great Egret (160)
Little Blue Heron (6 imm.)
Snowy Egret
Green Heron (24)
Black-crowned Night-heron (16)
Osprey (5)
Lesser Yellowlegs (4)
Spotted Sandpiper (7)
Solitary Sandpiper (6)
Least Sandpiper (2)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

This is a regional birding list to facilitate communications
between birders of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee.
Wallace Coffey, Owner Moderator
jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx