[Bristol-Birds] Rankin waders & shorebirds

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:56:14 -0400

Doouglas Lake, Rankin area, Cocke county
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, July 20, 2006
Lake level: 990.5

The lake is receding earlier than usual this year, providing mudflats and shallows for foraging in the fertile bottomlands of Rankin. We looked for birds in openings on both sides of the French Broad waterway just south of McCowan's Creek. We recorded 7 species of shorebird, high for this date because of the low lake level, and 8 wader species, the most we've seen in one day at Rankin.

Species & numbers observed:

Great blue heron (18)
Great egret (78)
Snowy egret (2)
Little blue heron (16, all immature)
Cattle egret
Green heron (18)
Black-crowned night-heron (21)
White ibis (4, all immature)
Killdeer (38)
Greater yellowlegs
Lesser yellowlegs
Solitary sandpiper
Spotted sandpiper (3)
Semipalmated sandpiper
Least sandpiper (6)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke county TN

************************************************* BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST Bristol Birds Net Photo Gallery located at: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/jwcoffeyy/album?.dir=/efd5

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia