[Bristol-Birds] Rankin - more August species

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:17:56 -0400

Cocke & Hamblen counties, 8/14/10; 2:30 - 6:00 PM, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 987.4 (more mudflats exposed; viewing from shore not good yet, but improving)

We launched earlier than usual, and found an assortment of shorebirds on the mudflats near the WMA entrance. After exploring a few other hot spots, we returned after a couple of hours to try to confirm whether one bird was a Baird's or a White-rumped sandpiper. We only found a few foraging killdeer , and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs standing very still against a dead buttonbush in the shadows. The scene looked suspiciously like the aftermath of a peregrine raid.

New species for this August included SNOWY EGRET, WESTERN SANDPIPER, & CASPIAN TERN.

Partial list:
Canada goose (150+, new high for his season)
Snowy Egret
Great egret (86 foraging; we see more at sunset, flying in to roost)
Little blue heron (2 juv.)
Green heron (27, new high for 2010)
Osprey (13)
Semipalmated plover