[Bristol-Birds] Rankin WMA

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:44:08 -0400

Cocke & Hamblen counties, 8/24/10, 2:00 to 4:30 PM, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 986.5 (still too high for good viewing from shore)

We saw typical numbers of the usual species, and STILT SANDPIPER was the only first-of-season species recorded. Oddly, we didn't see any shorebirds whatsoever at Rankin Bottoms, but found some in the Nolichucky River portion of the WMA. That's where we also saw the SNOWY EGRET & LITTLE BLUE HERONS.

Partial list:

Pied-billed grebe (near the coal tipple)
Great egret (100+)
Little blue heron (6)
Snowy egret
Osprey (3, lowest count since spring - adults gone?)
Red-tailed hawk
Killdeer (55)
Lesser Yellowlegs
Spotted sandpiper (5)