[Bristol-Birds] Rankin Ruff Report

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 22:33:28 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county, 5-8PM, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 980.4 ft., old RR bed road south along the Bottoms now
above water, and a good location for scoping

The ruff was still present, seen in several locations along the mudflat edge
across from Birders Point, reached by walking east along the shoreline from the
tipple area.  The only new species for the season that we saw was Black-bellied
Plover.
We had a thorough count going, but an ultralight scattered the birds along the
shoreline,le with the figures  so we had to setts are le for the figures below
- we were planning to count peeps on the way back, so their numbers are low
estimates

Of interest:

White ibis (5 juv.)
Osprey, only one
Black-bellied Plover (2 FOS, seen in flight, showing black wingpits)
American Golden-Plover (4)
Semipalmated Plover (22)
Killdeer (300)
Lesser Yellowlegs (12)
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper (5)
Sanderling (4)
Pectoral Sandpiper (52)
Baird's Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper (50)
Least Sandpiper (20)
Ruff
Stilt Sandpiper (3)
Long-billed Dowitcher (molt pattern just like one seen 8/30)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (26)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN  -Home of the Del Rio Song Contest
                       http://www.delriosongcontest.com/