[Bristol-Birds] Rankin Bottoms - shorebirds

  • From: Darrel Wilder <darrelw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:52:24 -0400

8/25/14, A.M.
Rankin Bottoms, Cocke County, TN

After seeing David Kirschke's great bird list from Rankin Bottoms by kayak
yesterday, I went to see what I'd be able to find scoping from shore this
morning.
The mudflats visible right after you cross the tracks have lots of shorebirds
at good scope range. The open area just before the old coal tipple has numbers
of birds on the bank directly across the embayment but at long range - too long
to ID peeps, but OK for gulls and larger shorebirds at high scope
magnification. Of the new birds that David found yesterday, I was able to
refind the American Golden-Plover. The numbers in the list below includes birds
I could positively ID, but excludes many shorebirds seen on the far shore
across the embayment.

Shorebird list

American Golden-Plover (in partial breeding plumage) (1)
Semipalmated Plover (6)
Killdeer (80)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Solitary Sandpiper (5)