[Bristol-Birds] Rankin Bottoms 09/12

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke County

Several birders were combing the mudflats this afternoon at Rankin in hopes
of relocating the Red Phalarope posted earlier. As far as I know, no one
was successful. There were some shorebirds around, but most were hunkered
down and not very active, so difficult to see. As Rick Knight suggested,
maybe a Peregrine or Merlin passed over earlier today. My list pretty much
mirrored other birders present. Highlights:

White Ibis (3, immature..continuing)
American Avocet (1)
Yellowlegs sp (8)
Stilt Sandpiper (3, in a distant photo)
American Golden Plover (1)
White-rumped Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper

David Kirschke called as I was leaving to report that he was looking at a
Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee