[Bristol-Birds] Rankin Bottoms

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:46:06 -0400

Cocke & Hamblen Counties, 8/8/10, 5:30-8:30 PM; by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 998.7 ft. The road under the coal tipple out to the bridge abutment now is open, so viewing from shore has improved; a little blue heron was foraging in the mudflat to the west of the road; mudflats also coming into view at the WMA entrance.

Shore bird numbers are picking up, with first-of-season SEIMIPALMATED PLOVER and SANDPIPER; we also spotted F-O-S RING-BILLED GULLS. Three juvenile WHITE-FACED IBIS, a nice flock of LITTLE BLUE HERONS, and more GREAT EGRETS flew to roost at the north end of the embayment around sunset. The SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER we saw had an orange breast, unlike the one Rick Knight & I saw a week ago.

Partial list:
Canada Goose (80+)
Wood duck (45)
Great blue heron (28)