[Bristol-Birds] Rankin 4/8/12

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 23:19:03 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county, 4/8/12, 4:30-7:00 PM, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 978.2 ft.; lake rising into Rankin Bottoms

We launched at the Leadvale TWRA boat ramp, then traveled west to the northeast
point of Ten Islands, and returned into Rankin Bottoms.  Except for the
Forster's Terns, all of the species we're reporting could have been seen from
the Rankin Tipple Rd.  The grassy shallows are swarming with carp, easy prey
for the eagles, ospreys and great blue herons.  Conditions are optimal for
viewing bald eagle activity; we saw 2 adults jousting over prey, and a juvenile
being mobbed by crows.

Partial list:
Canada Goose (50+)
Wood Duck (6 - 3 pairs)
Blue-winged Teal (100+)
Bufflehead (4)
Wild Turkey (3)
Double-crested Cormorant (45)
Great Blue Heron (22)
Osprey (6 - nest on Ten Islands Center Silo; # 11 in Cocke county)
Bald Eagle (4; 2 adults)
Am. coot (36)
Greater Yellowlegs (6)
Lesser Yellowlegs (42)
Pectoral Sandpiper (5)
Ring-billed Gull
Forster's Tern (6)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

and Northeast Tennessee.