[Bristol-Birds] RESULTS VA.docx

  • From: "Ed and Helen Morgan" <edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anita Huffman" <housewren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Betty Edmondson" <betty.edmondson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Diane Harris" <dmharris@xxxxxxxx>, <emorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jomart" <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, "Peter Morgan" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Randy Smith" <maryran@xxxxxxx>, "Rob Morgan" <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ruth and Mary Clark" <Buckfolk@xxxxxxx>, "Thomas McNeil" <tsmcneil1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Todd.Christensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tom Hunter" <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>, "virginia bird line" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:02:59 -0400

Attached are the results from the "first annual Virginia-Tennessee Bird
count that was held on Saturday, May 11, 2013.  This was our first attempt
at a coordinated big day event in our part of the world and I offer my
thanks and appreciation to all who turned in results.  We had 111 species
for the count  Top team results go to "Team Hunter" from Russell County.
Tom and company limited their count to Russell County.  In ten hours of
birding they turned up 85 species which included both bald and golden
eagles.

The "Virginia Railers", Ed Morgan and Ramsey White, get the prize for most
miles driven.  Their 188 mile route started in downtown Abingdon and went to
South Holston Lake, Bear Tree Campground, the summit of Whitetop, Saltville
ponds, Broad Ford, Ward Cove, and Rosedale.  Most of this was in the rain.
The sun did shine while we were in Saltville where we  observed Virginia
Rails, an Osprey and a Cormorant that was drying its wings by one of the
small ponds. We also located Cliff Swallows at Abrams Bridge on South
Holston Lake.

It is hard to say what was the best bird of the day.  While the Hunter's
eagles were certainly contenders, the Lawrence's Warbler Reported by Roger
Mayhorn and company in Buchanan County may be the rarest in nature.  While
not rare in nature, the Clay-colored sparrow seen by Thomas McNeil at
sycamore Shoals State Park near Elizabethton was also a very notable bird.

Randy Smith and the Master Naturalists found the least flycatchers and
Canada Warblers at Grindstone Campground and JoAnn Detta And Marty Huber
found the smallest bird of the day, our only blue-gray gnatcatcher.

Other participants included Anita Huffman and company at Mouth of Wilson and
Ruth and Mary Clark who birded in the City of Bristol, Virginia.

I am pleased to report that every team contributed at least one unique bird
to the count.

We do plan to repeat this event next year we hope as part of the Heartwood
Outdoor initiative.  We expect it will be a more formal and organized event
that can perhaps offer prizes and a get together for participants.

A primary goal of this event has been to develop an understanding of what
birds we can expect to see at a point at or near peak spring migration .
After reviewing the list I believe that it should be at least theoretically
possible to get up to approximately 130 species from our region. We are
blessed with a wide variety of habitats available to us in our region and
there is no telling what birds we will see when we get out in the field and
start looking.

Your comments and ideas are welcomed and appreciated.  Please let me know if
you would like to participate in next year's count.

Ed Morgan,

Abingdon, Virginia