[Bristol-Birds] Question about gulls

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:57:27 -0500

I noticed not many discussions happen in the group, so I want to start one.
Yesterday and today while at Middlebrook lake I spend some time watching the
ring-billed gulls landing on water. 90% of the time the birds go completely
under water (body not wings) during an otherwise graceful landing.

Why?

I cannot locate any literature on the internet. Could this be something to
do with fresh water verses salt water? Any one on the list every noticed a
gull landing at the beach?

I am enclosing a small photo (forgive me) as a visual guide.

Don Carrier
Bristol, Tennessee

JPEG image