[Bristol-Birds] Re: Query on Mockingbirds

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 02:19:21 -0400

Hey Ken and Bristol Birders,

Perhaps it learned the bobwhite song a year or more
ago when that Mockingbird lived somewhere
else.  For that matter, could it have learned it from
another Mockingbird ? It is such a simplification to think it
has always lived in our yard.  Of course there is no proof
that it hasn't.  We all make such assumptions and I am the
worst of them all.  A Mockingbird was found far from land
in April several years ago, at an oil platform, 70+ mi. S Pecan
Island, in the Gulf of Mexico.  How bizarre is that ?

Was that bird an international trans-gulf migrant or what ?

Let's go birding . . . .