[Bristol-Birds] Prelim Shady Valley / Mountain City CBC results

  • From: Robert Biller <xyon42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:25:54 -0500

Here is my compiled list for the Shady Valley / Mountain City CBC. I'll
email out another more detailed report when Audubon has their site ready.
I'll be able to analyze better then.

Canada Goose 393
American Black Duck 2
Mallard 127
Green-winged Teal 1
Ruffed Grouse 5
Wild Turkey 122
Great Blue Heron 4
Black Vulture 114
Turkey Vulture 106
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Cooper's Hawk 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 13
American Kestrel 5
Killdeer 2
Rock Pigeon 45
Mourning Dove 121
Eastern Screech-Owl 4
Great Horned Owl 2
Belted Kingfisher 13
Red-bellied Woodpecker 7
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 4
Downy Woodpecker 17
Hairy Woodpecker 5
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 12
Eastern Phoebe 2
Blue Jay 19
American Crow 1369
Common Raven 9
Carolina Chickadee 105
Tufted Titmouse 41
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 33
Carolina Wren 30

House Wren 1-Smaller than a Carolina Wren (CARW), lacking rufous color and
bold supercilium of CARW. It was light brown color overall, slender, with
only a trace of a supercilium. No noticeable barring underneath. Tail
longer than that of a Winter Wren. - Rick Knight

Golden-crowned Kinglet 14
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 61
Hermit Thrush 3
American Robin 22
Northern Mockingbird 28
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 1293
Cedar Waxwing 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Eastern Towhee 12
Field Sparrow 41
Song Sparrow 121
Swamp Sparrow 9
White-throated Sparrow 49
White-crowned Sparrow 21
Dark-eyed Junco 109
Northern Cardinal 60
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Eastern Meadowlark 10
Common Grackle 2
House Finch 26
American Goldfinch 80
House Sparrow 82
sent via birdcountr

60 species - just below average

There was a flock of about 80 small birds - Probably Horned Larks or
American Pipits - that were seen but due to poor conditions and a gigantic
blunder on my part, could not be reliably identified for this year's count.

Sent from my iPad

Rob Biller
Compiler Shady Valley /  Mountain City CBC
Elizabethton, TN