[Bristol-Birds] Re: Prairie Warbler still present - Elizabethton Greenbelt

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 13:21:06 -0400

Since Rob's had such good luck, I returned to the spot where I first saw the
male Prairie Warbler last Saturday on the Herndon Chapter's Spring Bird Count.
I heard him singing before I got anywhere near him. He gave a clear rendition
of his song about four or five times before I located him.

For those not familiar with this stretch of the greenbelt...

Rob has given good directions, but to get a chance at seeing the bird, you
might want to leave the paved path. There's a small cattail marsh that some
birders may be aware of, and it was in that vicinity that I first saw the bird
last week. Today, he was closer to an area dominated by a variety of saplings
as well as cedars probably between 10-15 feet tall.

If you do get off the path, just know there's lots of poison ivy and also lots
of ditches that are full of water right now.

I can hear quite easily the bird's song... my problem is detecting the location
from which the song is coming. I still managed to catch sight of him in a tall
(locust?) tree.

He sings so persistently!  It was noon, and his singing was almost constant. Of
course, it is a cool, overcast day, but I also found him last week on count day
around 11 a.m. on a much brighter, much hotter day.

If he could attract a mate, I don't see any reason that they could not set up a
nest in this habitat.

During my lunch break stop today, I also saw several Indigo Buntings and Field
Sparrows and heard a Yellow-breasted Chat.

 I also saw an American Robin and two Northern Cardinals chasing a Blue Jay. I
suppose the jay got too close to either a robin or a cardinal nest, or perhaps
both nests.  The two male cardinals were really hot on the Blue Jay's trail.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN