[Bristol-Birds] Possible Great Blue Heron Nest Building Russell Co, Va

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 04:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday I was birding at the intersection of Elk Garden and Green Valley
Roads when I observed a Great Blue Heron with a tree branch in its beak. It was
flying from South to North across Elk Garden Road in the direction of Elk
Garden Creek. There are several large trees that line this creek that would be
suitable for heronry locations. As a further note I saw 5 Great Blue Herons in
adult breeding plumage in this area during my morning rounds. I tried to catch
up with the Great Blue Heron along Rt 80 but there is no place to pull off the
road and traffic was heavy. I will keep looking in the area to try to verify a
nest.

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA