[bristol-birds] Pishing Jackpot!

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:25:27 -0400

Bristol Area Birders,
As I went for my morning constitutional/bird walk this morning I was keeping
track of the birds seen and heard, as usual. I stopped near a fence where
there were a few trees and a partially overgrown field. After pishing a few
times I was shocked at the number of species that suddenly appeared within
this one medium sized Black Locust tree. There was a Golden-winged Warbler,
a male American Redstart (possibly two), a Yellow-throated Warbler a
White-breasted Nuthatch, a Red-eyed Vireo, a Downy Woodpecker, three Indigo
Buntings and one Am. Robin. This was a new pishing record for me. I ended
the 4 mile hike with 38 species, which I thought was pretty good since many
of the birds were not singing.

Following is the complete list:

American Crow  24 (5 crows harassing either hawk or owl)
American Goldfinch  15 (12 males, 3 females)
American Redstart  1 (male)
American Robin  15
Barn Swallow  6
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Blue Jay  6
Carolina Chickadee 1
Carolina Wren  4
Chimney Swift  1
Chipping Sparrow  35
Downy Woodpecker  2
Eastern Bluebird  5 (2 immature)
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Eastern Towhee  6
European Starling  5
Field Sparrow  1
Golden-winged Warbler  1
House Finch  1 (female)
House Sparrow  5
Indigo Bunting  12 (11 males, 1 female)
Mourning Dove  3
Northern Cardinal  5 (males)
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3 (2 immature)
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Red-winged Blackbird  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds  2
Scarlet Tanager  1
Song Sparrow  9
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Wild Turkey 3 (1 hen, 1 poult) (1 Jake)
Wood Thrush  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Yellow-breasted Chat  1
Yellow-throated Warbler  2

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958