[Bristol-Birds] Pipits - Pemberton Rd. in Holston Valley

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:12:48 -0500

Area Briders:

This afternoon (11/1) a flock AMERICAN PIPITS, estimated at about 130 birds,
was found along Pemperton Road, not far from Darter's Store (located on U.S.
421) in Holston Valley, Sullivan Co.  I flushed one flock estimated at 100
birds and then found another group of 30 (which I counted individually) a few
yards away that had not taken flight.

I birded in Shady Valley most of the day and didn't find much.  There was a
pretty good movement of birds ahead of this approaching cold front and the wind
was from the west at 19 mph at noon, according to the Shady Valley School
remote weather station.  A female AMERICAN KESTREL has arrived in the valley
with the early autumn migration and three WOOD DUCKS were at Quarry Bog -- one
a male still in breeding colors.  Four COMMON RAVENS were also over the bog.

Eight AMERICAN WIGEON were at the South Fork Holston River Weir Dam along with
"tons" of CANADA GEESE.

Let's go birding......