[Bristol-Birds] Piping Plover researcher suspects South Holston bird from Missouri River area

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Bird Club'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:20:25 -0400

Piping Plover chased by Killdeer at Musick Campground 2 Sept 2014.jpg

           Photo above shows Killdeer in pursuit of Piping Plover at Musicks
Campground,  2 Sept 2014

A knowledgeable Piping Plover researcher told me today:

" I'm betting it is a bird originally banded along the

Gavin's Point reach of the Missouri River (between Nebraska

and South Dakota) by the group from Virginia Tech."

Missouri River Govins Point location for Piping Plovers.jpg

Several are working to help locate the actual breeding population from

which the South Holston Lake Piping Plover was captured and marked.

The Piping Plover (Atlantic Coast and Northern Great Plains populations)

was announced in July 2014 as designated for a regular five-year review

under the Federal Endangered and Threatened Species Act.  The Piping

Plover is a Federal Threatened species in the Missouri River area shown

above.  The comment period ends 8 September 2014.

More information on this bird's known point of capture and marking will

be passed along to Bristol Birds Net as soon as it is verified.

JPEG image

JPEG image