[Bristol-Birds] Pintail, Shoveler, Sandhill Cranes--W. Washington Cty

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:20:27 -0500

Jim D. Anderson and I did some birding in W. Washington Cty this
morning--Ridges Golf Course, Hales Chapel Rd., Bush Hog Pond, Vest Rd, Opie
Arnold Rd., and Keebler Rd.

We saw several Red-tailed Hawks and a good number of Kestrels.  Highlights were

N. Shovelers (3) and about 20 Gadwall at Bush Hog Pond

N. Pintail on a pond on the north side of Hwy 75 (Opie Arnold Rd.) between
Oakland Rd and Gib Broyles lane (where the road has a dogleg).

Sharp-shinned Hawk/ Crow interaction/flyover and a flyover of 15 Sandhill
Cranes on Keebler Rd.  We briefly relocated the cranes from Berryhill Rd, but
they were flying south toward the Nolichucky R. and we never caught up with
them again.

Other highlights were meeting up with Darrel Wilder (Hales Chapel Rd) and with
Tom Macneil and Cathy Myers (Keebler).  Hope you all continued to have good
birding.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City