[Bristol-Birds] Pine Siskins/Musick's/Whitetop Mnt.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:44:05 -0500

On Friday (11/23) while birding with Andy Jones at Musick's Campground
on S.H. Lake, Sullivan Co., TN, we had two Pine Siskins feeding on the
ground near the swimming pool.  Also two Red-winged Blackbirds.

We birded the Whitetop Mountain and Whitetop Station area of Washington
County, VA looking for invasion species.  The only interesting bird was
a Red-breasted Nuthatch feeding on the shoulder of the rock road to the
summit of Whitetop at 4,600 feet elevation. The mountain had some lingering
light snow and heavy hoar frost on the vegetation.  The temperature at
Elk Garden parking area was 18 degrees F.   The high elevations from
4,400 feet up to 5,525 feet were socked in with fog.  We saw many juncos
flying up along the roadways.

Let's go birding.......