[Bristol-Birds] Pileated woodpecker in Briarwood subdivision, Johnson City

  • From: "Bruce J. Turner" <fishgen@xxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birders <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:27:39 -0500

For anyone in the area who would like to see a Pileated woodpecker, there
is a large male consistently hanging around in the Briarwood subdivison of
Johnson City, near my home.  He has been working the trees around the top
of Bondwood Circle since the beginning of January.  I hear him at dawn or a
little later (to about 7:30 AM) about every second morning as I go for my
daily walk.  He is generally about 50 to 75 ft up, banging on trees close
to the street.  Most of the time he is working around 3341 Bondwood Circle,
but he can be two or three houses on either side of that.  I have never
known this species to be so predictably consistent before I encountered
this bird.  There are a myriad of other woodpeckers in this neighborhood,
especially downys and many red bellieds.  Both of the latter species visit
both my suet and sunflower seed feeders.  The Pileated never does this---or
at least he hasn't so far.

To drive to the area, get off I-181 southbound at exit 36
(State-of-Franklin) and bear right to the next street, which is Oakland.
Make a right on Oakland, pass Cafe Pacifica, and head up the hill.  Oakland
merges into Mtn View to the left.  The next right is Bondwood Circle, go to
the top of the hill and you're there.  Cheers---

                                        Bruce J. Turner
                                        Assoc. Professor of Biology
                                        VPISU, Blacksburg, VA 24061
                                        (540)-231-7444
                                        fishgen@xxxxxx

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958