[Bristol-Birds] Photos of Backyard Warblers

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:39:51 -0400

Bristol Area Birders,
The last couple of days have been excellent for birding my yard on Compton
Mountain, here in Buchanan County. Sunday I logged 40 species with 8 of them
being warblers. The Sunday warblers included American Redstart 2,
Blackburnian Warbler (beautiful male) 1, Black-throated Green 3, Cape May 2,
Cerulean Warbler 1, Tennessee Warbler 1, Yellow-breasted Chat 2 and
Yellow-throated Warbler 3.

Today (Monday) I counted 41 species with 11 of them being warblers. Monday's
Warblers were Blackburnian Warbler 1 (young female), Black-and-White Warbler
1, Black-throated Green 1, Blue-winged 3, Cerulean 1, Chestnut-sided 1,
Hooded Warbler 1, Golden-winged 1, Tennessee 3, Worm-eating 2,
Yellow-breasted Chat 2.

I took photos of several of these birds. You can see them at
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery.htm  Downloading photos may take a
few seconds because some have more than one photo under one title.  I hope
you enjoy them.

For those interested the complete list for both days follows.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning to see what shows up "heh,heh."

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mountain
Buchanan County VA

Sunday-40 species

American Crow  2
American Goldfinch 5
American Redstart  2 (1 immature male, 1 female)
American Robin  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Black-throated Green  Warbler  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Brown Thrasher  2
Cape May Warbler  2 (1 male, 1 female)
Carolina Chickadee  2
Carolina Wren  2
Cerulean Warbler  1 (female)
Chipping Sparrow  7
Downy Woodpecker  2
Eastern Bluebird  8
Eastern Kingbird  2
Eastern Towhee  4
Eastern Wood Pewee  4  1
European Starling  30
Flycatcher 1 (Willow or Alder?)
Gray Catbird  4
House Finch  6
Indigo Bunting  2
Mourning Dove  3
Northern Cardinal  5
Northern Flicker  1
Olive-sided Flycatcher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  4
Scarlet Tanager  1
Song Sparrow  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
White-eyed Vireo  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  2
Yellow-throated Warbler  3

Monday-41 species

American Crow  2
American Goldfinch  4
American Robin  11
Blackburnian Warbler  1 (1st year female)
Black-and-White Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Blue-winged Warbler  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3