[Bristol-Birds] Persimmon Ridge

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 12:46:44 -0400

Didn't get to Persimmon Ridge Park until mid-morning and walked the
boardwalk and Walter's Trail. A bear has worn a path where he goes to
the creek and drinks, and front paw prints were clearly visible in the mud.
Red-eyed Vireos are singing everywhere as they are at Bear Run, where I
also have a Hooded Warbler calling from the woods across the road in
late afternoons.
The woods at Persimmon were also ringing with Carolina Wrens, American
Goldfinches, Tufted Titmice and Northern Cardinals. Red-bellied
Woodpeckers chimed in as I began the climb up the ridge. I saw Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers on three occasions, all singles and hungrily feeding, so I
suspect these are pass-through migrants.
Near the top of the ridge a Yellow-throated Vireo's song replaced the
redeyes. Just as I started down the other side a small dark movement
near the ground caught my eye, and my first Swainson's Warbler of the
year was hopping about the ground. I hoped to make a Gray-cheeked Thrush
out of him, but the eye ring was too vivid.
In the pasture with the longhorn cattle I saw a female Brown-headed
Cowbird with the cattle, imagine that.
Suddenly quiet Blue Jays were still obvious in the treetops by the way
they bounce onto a branch. American Crows were seen and heard throughout
the woods.
One returning to the car I heard the call and quickly got onto a female
Sharp-shinned Hawk soaring over.
For the worst half of the morning, it wasn't bad.

James Brooks
Wildflowers: Crested Wood Iris and several locations, bloodroot is done,
real Solomon's Seal is coming on, Snowdrops in several locations, Black
Quohash is up but not yet blooming, several DYCs are blooming.