[bristol-birds] Pawpaw Gap - Buchanan County

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:49:11 -0400

Bristol Area Birders,
This morning my wife,Lynda, and I birded the Pawpaw Gap strip site here in
Buchanan County, very close to the Dickenson County line. With fog and the
temperature at 68 F it made for comfortable birding. The birds were fairly
active for this time of the year. We logged 29 species, the most notable
being Grasshopper Sparrows (which are in short supply in this county),
Yellow-breasted Chats (one of my favorites),and 8 Northern Bobwhites (rather
rare here also). We were hoping to find sandpipers in a large mudhole, which
they sometimes feed in, or a Blue Grosbeak, but our target species were not
to be found. A Killdeer did drop out of the fog into the mudhole.
The Ruby throats were really agressive. One was chasing a Brown Thrasher,
while a couple of others were chasing smaller passerines.  Following is the
complete list:

American Crow  1
American Goldfinch  9
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Brown Thrasher  1
Carolina Wren  1
Cedar Waxwing  1
Chimney Swifts  2
Chipping Sparrow  2
Common Yellowthroat  1
Eastern Towhee  7
Field Sparrow   16
Grasshopper Sparrow  7 (1 carrying food)
Indigo Bunting  18 (17 males, 1 female)
Killdeer 1
Meadowlarks  8
Northern Bobwhite  6
Northern Cardinal  (1 male)
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3 (1 chasing a Brown Thrasher)
Scarlet Tanager  4
Song Sparrow   7
Wild Turkey  2
Wood Thrush  1
Yellow-breasted Chat

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958