[Bristol-Birds] Participants and vehicles signing up for Saturday BBC offroad birding.

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:35:41 -0400

Grayson_Highlands_Ponies five.jpg

Area Birders,

Details for the Bristol Bird Club field trip to the "Scales" area of Pine
Mountain at

the top of the 4-mile trail-crawling the 'Possum Creek off road route to the
Virginia

Highlands of Grayson County, VA, are coming along nicely.

We go up this Saturday, 13 June 2015. BBC last held this trip in 2004.

Birders are still signing on to go with us and we have good transportation
with

4-wheelers set to load birders up. Everyone is excited.

Ron Harrington birded up into the Scales area yesterday (10 June).

Ron wrote: "Crawling" is a good verb for progress up the 4.1 mile road.

He says it is very slow going in places. "Saw about 8 folks on horseback,

one jogger, and 10-12 wild ponies. Mountain laurel is in full bloom!"

Ruther Baker, of Kingsport, wrote: "Sure wish I could make this trip!

Hope you get photos of wildflowers. Good luck"

ybss for Pine Mountain 2015.jpgFaye Wagers, BBC secretary,

is meeting several of us at

Mountain Sports in Bristol

Virginia and Clancey Deel is

bringing his truck from Richlands

to meet us at the Chilhowie

pickup area. Kevin Blaylock,

BBC's 1st VP, is bringing his

4-wheeler. Judy and Dick Moose

are coming down from

Rural Retreat to lead the caravan

into the high country.

Cathy Spencer, a birders from

Rugby in Grayson County,

is coming over and bringing her

4-wheeler. She has been birding

the Scales for many years and

knows the ropes and in and outs

like a palm reader. We also have

President-elect Janice Martin and Fred Martin binging a 4-wheeler. Dave
Worley

and Diana Worley have a 4-wheeler. I have my 6-passgenger SUV.
Treasurer-elect

Nancy McPeak has a 4-wheel on standby.

Judy and Dick Moose will drive lead and we'll have a couple of sweep
vehicles

keeping up with everyone from the back of the flock.

This accounting does not include many more birders who will load on board

and ride the climb into God's Country.

Bring your family radio's for communication as we crawl the mountain.

We'll be on Channel 5 just as in Burke's Garden for winter eagle trips.

Bring your lunch with all your snacks and bottled water.

Let me know if you plan to go up with us. We are trying to make sure we
have

a good handle on this most-fun and good-birding event.

Wilderness birding is just ahead!

smiley face.jpg

Wallace Coffey

Bristol TN