[Bristol-Birds] Panama Field Trip

  • From: jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx
  • To: marthanne@xxxxxxxx, fsu.caldwell@xxxxxxx, cwgermany@xxxxxxxx, redwing@xxxxxxxxxx, Birdglass44@xxxxxxx, susan@xxxxxxxxx, john.getgood@xxxxxxxx, heckofanurse@xxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:28:20 -0500

Hello Nature Enthusiasts,  The Bristol Bird Club, once more, is sponsoring a
great field trip!  This June (14-22) we will be touring Panama for its
wildlife.  Our trip will begin with a day-long boat trip on Gatun Lake, which
is part of the Panama Canal.  Here, not only will we see the Canal in
operation, we will also see a large variety
of birds and mammals on the islands and in the water.  They include Three-toed
Sloth, White-faced Capuchin, howler monkeys and tamarins, Snail Kite,
Keel-billed Toucan and Boat-billed Herons.  After leaving the Canal, we venture
inland to stay at the Canopy Tower, where the tree top birds are right outside
our rooms.  We then move on to Canopy Lodge with an excursion to the infamous
Pipeline Road.  Among the 900 other fabulous avian possibilities are:
Green-shrike Vireo, Blue Cotinga, Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, Red-lored Amazon,
Whiskered Puffbird, Great Jacamar, Golden-crowned Spadebill, Rosy
Thrush-Tanager, Lance-tailed Manakin, Jet Antbird, Royal Flycatcher, Great
Currassow, Purple-throated Fruitcrow, Ornate Hawk-Eagle, Violet-capped
Hummingbird, White-tipped Sicklebill and Golden-hooded Tanagers.  Possible
mammals include: Woolly Opossum, Water Opossum, Tamandua, Sily Anteater,
Three-toed Sloth, five species of monkeys, Andean Bear, Crab-eatiing Raccoon,
Kinkajou, Tayra, Ocelot, Margay, Jaguarundi, Puma, Jaguar, Agoutis, Baird's
Tapir and many others.  We will be accompanied by a Panamanian wildlife expert.
 All meals, lodging and land transportation is covered in the cost of $1995.
Because participants will be coming from several locales, you will be able to
arrange your own air transport to Panama City, Panama.  This will enable you to
use "miles" and the airports most convenient to you.  The company doing the
arrangments is Caligo Ventures in Key West, Florida.  They have arranged trips
to Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Ecuador for me in the recent past.  If you
are considering going on the trip, contact me at the above email address, and I
will mail you a brochure with even more details.  Hope you will join us!  John
Moyle