[bristol-birds] Pairs in the Park

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:22:13 EST

     Like Bryan Stevens, I had Red-winged Blackbirds in my yard Sunday
heralding spring.  I also had mating Mourning Doves.
     At Steele Creek Park, it seemed to be two-for-one day, Sunday.  We had
two Great Blue Herons, and two Pied-billed Grebes ( including one that spent
a lot of time on a log, leaving it briefly to swim with the other grebe, then
returning to the same log).  We also had two Ring-billed Gulls that
apparently got tired of following people in the Mall parking lot to their
cars to look for trash after the car leaves.  They wheeled around over the
lake several times in the afternoon sun.  The lake has been drawn down
several feet to allow work on the shoreline stabilization project for the
next few days.  This will be a recurring event at this time of year for the
next few years.  My subjective impression is that it has stimulated movement
of birds that normally would have remained unnoticed around the edges of the
lake.  It is also an opportunity to study tracks in the mud.  There is an
awful lot of activity out there, night and day, both birds and mammals.  Come
check it out!
     - Don Holt, Central, Carter Co., TN (Assistant Naturalist at Steele
Creek Park, Bristol, TN)
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958