[Bristol-Birds] Re: Owl in box

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:34:38 -0600

Larry McDaniel:

The gray morph Eastern Screech-Owl roosting in an owl box at
Janet Brown's home in Johnson City is a really good find!  Thanks
for that post.

To have a gray in her roost box is most unusual.  I think, if I'm
not forgetful here,  Kevin Hamed has a gray morph in a box at
his home in Bristol, Tennessee near Middlebrook Lake.

Gray morphs are uncommon in the region.  The ratio
of red morphs to grays is about  5:1.

Between March 1966 and January 2001 I've been involved in
handling, measuring, and banding  105 Eastern Screech-Owls.
About 9 if those were injured, dead or couldn't return to the wild.

Of those,  96 were banded (red morph = 50, gray morph = 11,
nestlings of unknow morph = 35).

The red, gray and brown morphs have been recorded in
Shady Valley, Johnson Co., TN

I found a dead brown morph 13 April 1969 near where
Chris O'Bryan now lives in the Crandall area of Shady Valley
(2600 feet elevation).

I saw a gray morph 8 April 1990 along U.S. 421 on Holston
Mountain in Shady Valley.

Three (3) red morphs flew about in Wright's Woods on Sluder
road in Shady Valley 14 Jun 2001 when Ron Harrington and
I were conducting the Birds in Forested Landscape Survey .

 A few years ago James Van Remsen, Andy Jones and I saw
a brown morph sitting in a hole of a tree at the far end of the
footbridge at the South Holston Weir Dam, Sullivan Co. while
participating in the Christmas bird count.

I found a brown morph dead in Washington Co., VA
18 December 1966.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958