[Bristol-Birds] Re: Owl Call Question ? From, Shane Adams.

  • From: "Todd Perkins" <bigun_75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 13:21:25 -0400

Hello Shane,

It's great that you have a handmade call from your grandfather.  And an owl
call at that!  Handmade owl calls are really hard to find.  In fact, I've
never heard of anyone making one. I make turkey box calls and friction call
strikers.   Not very many people make these either.  I haven't perfected the
box calls but I think I've got the strikers mastered.   But, in answering
your question, yes,  Owls will respond to your calling.  I think they are
like turkeys, if you tell them what they want to hear they will come.  And
as an avid turkey hunter, I do know that they will make turkeys gobble late
in the evening and early in the morning, at dusk and dawn.

I once called an owl in.  I was coming back from the shop one evening and I
heard one start calling.  So I went in the house and got my owl hooter.  I
went back outsided and listened some more.  Now there were three owls.  So I
started calling.  They all responded.  After a few rounds, I noticed that
one was getting alot closer.  So I got the idea of myself calling, not the
hooter.  I then found out that I sounded better than the call.  So I kept
calling and then I saw him.  He flew out of the mountainside in front of my
house but didn't come all the way over.  Later, I watched fly all the way
over, directly behind my house.  It really surprised my father and I.  It
gave us a good laugh too.

Just a few weeks ago, I bought a  H.S. Strut Palmers Hoot Tube.  In my
opinion, I think it is the best owl hooter out there.  It makes really
authentic sounds.  The next evening, Friday, one of my friends and I went
out to roost a goobler on his property.  The Palmer's Hoot Tube didn't fire
any gobblers up but it got three owls started.  We had fun playing with
them.

When you try to call an owl(s) in, if you get one to respond, play with him.
  Say the same thing he says.  This most of the time is a sure fire way to
get one to fly in.  Another good way to get one to come in is to use a
predator call; cottontail in distress, raccoon in distress, owl in distress,
....... something in that line.  You can mix the predator calling up with
the owl calling and I will sound like an owl is making a kill or fighting.
Well, I hope that this helps you.

Todd Perkins

: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>