[Bristol-Birds] Osprey "One" arrives on schedule at the SF Holston from winter in another hemisphere.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:32:14 -0400

Down the stretches of Riverside Road and the South Fork Holston River near

Rockhold church today found Osprey "One" on site and situated for a long

Layover to refuel for his continued migration to a favorable nesting area in
the north land - maybe even in Canada.

His long journey from the Caribbean or upper reaches of South America will

probably rest about three good weeks at his annual layover area.

For several years he has perched in the exact tree of site fidelity where he
has perched on virtually the same limb for weeks to hunt and refuel his
system. The same tree and limb for several years. But nature's weather took
that tree down and he was first found this year (today - 11 April 2015)
perched near the islands 350 yards downstream.

We have spent a number of evenings together and watched each other for a
bunch of hours. It is a quiet time we have shared for a few years.

He watches the southwest sky down the river and calls for hours each day.
Is he longing for a mate or looking for her annual return ? There is always
hope sticks will be carried to a tall tree on the nearby island but that is
as

doubtful as is the certainty his page of the calendar will turn elsewhere.

Each year he navigates treacherous dangers of two migrations, most
nerve-wracking Caribbean crossings. He knows the way over thousands of
miles. He knows not what's ahead. He can find his way back to his favorite
tree and favorite limb if he can find his way away from hurricanes.

He can keep this up longer than we can. Ospreys usually live for 15-20
years

in the wild, some have been known to live for more than 30 years.

A careful and extended search swept the trees along the banks from Riverside
at Webb Bridge, past the barns of the Wassoms, the old River Mill of the
Carriers and Armstong to the green fields at Rockhold United Methodist.

Down river a few miles another Osprey was found hunting and spending today -
a fourth consecutive day, at another apparent layover. There using the same
limb and same tree hour after hour all week.

Most amazing, it has now come apparent that several adult Bald Eagles in the
area may be much more in a layover mode than nesting. They are likely
Florida birds heading north after completing nesting responsibilities in the
Sunshine State. We detected their passage in spring a couple of years ago
but now are having to wrap our mind around their layover habits. Much to be
learned.

Let's go birding..