[Bristol-Birds] Re: Oral rabies aerial distribution in southwestern VA - first two weeks in August

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolhardy@xxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:15:34 -0400

Carol -
When is the USDA going to make the Raboral VR-G baits available to
property owners who are most at risk to raccoon rabies because of
families of raccoons on their properties?
The aerial inoculation program didn't work to halt the spread of raccoon
rabies into Johnson and Carter Counties of Tennessee, which is why you
now have the battle in Virginia.
Raboral VR-G virtually wiped out wildlife rabies in Europe where it was
developed, and I seriously doubt they did it with an aerial dropping
program. Solving problems by bombing populations seems to be a uniquely
American aberration.
It seems USDA is talking out of both sides of its mouth: it poses no
risk for pets, but you should keep pets away from it. That's like George
W. Bush saying we are at war with terrorism, but we should all go about
our daily business.
If there is no risk, why is this remedy kept from the people who live in
the country who are at greatest risk of exposure to rabid raccoons? We
inoculate our pets against rabies so they will act as a barrier between
wild carriers and ourselves. Why can we not have access to this
effective innoculant so we can treat those wild animals that come up
onto our porches?
If, in fact, it is potentially harmful to pets, I would be happy to put
the baits 20 feet up in a tree. My cats do not climb trees large enough
to support a ladder, given a choice.
I have raised this question several times in my column, "The Wild Life"
in the Johnson City Press, and never gotten an answer from USDA.
Although Northeast Tennessee is apparently not within your operation
zone, since you posted this on a Tennessee bird list, I would like the
courtesy of a reply.

James Brooks