[Bristol-Birds] Re: Oak Hill merlin pair

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:05:48 -0500

The best thing about these Merlins is that they are so regular and
dependable in appearing here like magic each afternoon.  And they are
so easily accessable for anyone to see.  You can drive up and sit
right in your car and get a good view of one most days.  Also, I have
walked right out in front of them with camera and camcorder on a
tripod and stood there taking pictures until my batteries ran out and
they usually don't budge.  Another additional plus for the "knife and
fork" crowd is the Dairy Queen and KFC just outside the cemetery
gates!

David, it's good to get a visual confirmation of what I thought I was
seeing from the photos and my encounters with the birds individually.

Rick

On Nov 17, 2007 2:03 PM, David Hunt <davidhunt7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Saw both Merlins at the same time, Thursday Nov 15 before sunset.  They
> were in the tops of separate trees about 70 yards apart.  They tolerated
> my closest approach of about 30 yards.  One is obviously smaller than
> the other although I did not get a view of the smaller birds back.  Just
> before sunset the female flew to a nearby spruce to roost.  The male
> flew to roost in the same tree about 20 minutes after sunset.
>
> David Hunt
> Gray
> Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications
> between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia
> and Northeast Tennessee.
>       Wallace Coffey, Moderator
>         wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>           (423)764-****