[Bristol-Birds] Now whact ya say ?

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:33:04 +0000

We spent a month last spring hanging out with two Ospreys on the South Fork
Holston River in Sullivan Co. TN. They each occupied particular trees and had
their favorite limbs for perches.  Hours and long days became weeks and then a
month.

By golly!  To our amazement, both were found back in their trees Friday and
even perched on their  particular branches !  It is not like they have only two
trees in some vast savannah. There are hundreds of great trees and perches.

Just as last year, one "sang" for an extended period.  I remain convinced this
shallow river here seems to be a good nesting site.

There was no nest found last year.  And nothing so far this year.

Are these two inexperienced males who are whistling at the girls and strutting
on the river?

Are they having trouble getting single gals to turn a head?  Are the mated hens
quickly passing north with an appointed time for babies and no time to stay and
play ?

The evidence is two Ospreys perched within a couple of hundred yards, always
facing south and with their heads turned high as they search the sky and sing
with hope eternal.

Exactly the same carrying on we watched at the Central Holston site a few miles
up river last spring where Kevin Hamed found an Osprey gathering nesting
material and placing it on a utility pole.  That hawk perched on the pole,
watching high into the south sky and sang for days before leaving.

We wonder every day if the fancies of females will lead these fellows  north or
one or both will lead one of their lovers to their already selected proud nest
tree along our South Fork.

We hope it will be sooner than later and we'll be peaking from one of our
several watch posts.

Let's keep nest hunting. . .

Carolyn & Wallace Coffey
Bristol. TN