[Bristol-Birds] Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Ross's Goose, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:59:29 -0500

March 5, 2005

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon visiting old haunts in western
Greene County, hoping to find spring arrivals, or at least some winter
residents on the move.  In general, birding was slower than I expected
it to be, perhaps because of persistent wind.  In any case, I did make a
few noteworthy finds before heading back to Greeneville around 4:00.
Here's a quick summary:

Ross's Goose (the 2 birds seen on Green Road last weekend were still
there today);
Wood Duck (6);
Gadwall (4);
Cooper's Hawk;
Northern Harrier (3);
American Coot (4);
Ring-billed Gull (200+);
Eurasian Collared-Dove (adjacent to West Greene High School);
Tree Swallow (10);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (on Smelcer Road at Lick Creek; today's
date is a week earlier than I've found a spring arrival of this species
before);
Rusty Blackbird (11 on Green Road).

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN