[Bristol-Birds] Northern Mockingbird expansion in the Southern Appalachians

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:22:00 -0400

Wallace Coffey, Roger Mayhorn, and other area birders,

When I was growing up in Watauga County, North Carolina in the 1970's, I almost never saw a mockingbird. Catbirds and thrashers were quite common--yearly nesters on my grandparents' property, in fact--but mockingbirds were almost impossible to find. The elevation where we lived was in the 2500-3000 foot range, and Watauga County in general is high elevation. I haven't visited Watauga often enough in recent years to get a firm sense of mockingbird frequency today, so I can't comment on the species status now, but I think it's very interesting that it has expanded into areas in southwest Virginia and eastern Kentucky where it was formerly absent.

It's important to keep our eye on common species and not take them for granted. Bird life is not static, but it's easy to get lulled into a sense that we know everything important about the birds that we encounter all the time. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Let's all pay closer attention to the details . . . .

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN
Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia