[Bristol-Birds] Re: Nighthawks

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx" <ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx>, "bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

I was just looking up sightings of Common Nighthawk and see that several
hundred were reported (during migration) along I-26 between Uncoi and Erwin, TN
on Sept 4, 2011.  I have observed this one other time in FL with thousands of
nighthawks apparently using the I-75 corridor.  On the other had, I did not see
or hear a single nighthawk in the tree streets area of Johnson City this
summer, which is unusual.  I did see/hear several in the downtown Kingsport
area earlier in the summer.  The May/June 2013 issue of Birding discusses
Common Nighthawk population declines,  which are described as drastic.  Anyone
else notice a decline locally or miss them in a usual spot?

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN