[Bristol-Birds] New Year's S.C. Birding

  • From: kat92047@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 23:12:23 -0500

On Dec. 31, 2002 and Jan 1-2, 2003, I got to do some birding in South Carolina.

I visited the Donnelley Wildlife Management Area near Walterboro, S.C., on Dec.
31 for about four hours. The WMA features a nice driving tour of several
different habitats that offer a diversity of birds.

I saw 54 species at Donnelley WMA. Some of the highlights were Wood Stork,
Anhingas, White Ibis, Bald Eagle, Common Moorhen and 400+ Ring-necked Ducks and
400+ Wood Ducks.

In addition, I saw four warblers (Pine, Palm, Yellow-rumped and Common
Yellowthroat) as well as Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher and Northern Mockingbird.
Saw five sparrows — Fox, Chipping, White-throated, Swamp and Song — as well
as Eastern Towhees.

Spent New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and part of Jan. 2 on Fripp Island, S.C.

At Fripp Island, observed 62 species. Some of the highlights included a roost
of 20+ Black-crowned Night Herons and Great Egrets, eight Red-breasted
Mergansers, Common Loon, a flock of 600+ Double-crested Cormorants, American
Oystercatcher, Fish Crow and Osprey.

I also enjoyed walking along the sand dunes and observing Savannah Sparrows,
Eastern Meadowlarks, American Goldfinches and House Finches.

A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was a new bird for my Fripp Island, S.C., list.

Oh, and my very first bird of 2003? Ring-billed Gull.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958