[Bristol-Birds] New Yard Bird-Red Crossbill

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, scromer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:22:25 EDT

Greetings from Claytor Lake,
                                            This morning about 10:45 I
noticed something  on the feeders that  caught my eye.  I scrambled for my
bins, and
it was just as I suspected, a  Red Crossbill!  Then I scrambled for the
camera -- a Grackle flew in  and flushed the birds --  --  -- to my delight, it
returned --I got  snap happy -- a Blue Jay landed on the same feeder,flushed
the
birds again, and  that was the last I saw of the crossbill.  I hope it returns
with  friends!  I still many purple finches, lots of goldfinches today, and
the  bonaparte's gulls are still hanging around.  Here is a photo of the
crossbill, and for those more familiar than I with this species maybe you
could
tell me which Type it is?

                  Good Birding,

                                       Mark Mullins