[Bristol-Birds] New Yard Bird, Hampton, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:03:20 -0400

My mom called around 9:30 this morning (Saturday, April 16) to tell me she had
spotted a heron in a tree at the fish pond. She had already ruled out Great
Blue.

I went outside and soon found a Black-crowned Night-Heron on a wobbly branch.
As I watched, the bird transferred to a branch that offered a more sturdy perch.

The heron showed two long plumes down the back and looked to be an adult in
breeding plumage.

There have been three other herons visit here... Great Blue, Green and Great
Egret. My mom and I once found a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in a small pond
less than two miles from here on the Unicoi County side of Simerly Creek
Road/State Route 173.

So, this visitor is a great addition to the yard list for here at my home on
Simerly Creek Road in Hampton.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, Carter Co., TN